Welcome to the Alexandria Library, the translation industry knowledge hub, one of The Alexandria Projects.
Created by translators for translators, interpreters and all players of the translation industry, the Alexandria Library offers an array of resources for continuous professional development (CPD) and services, such as:
– live webinars, online courses, online workshops and online training for translators, interpreters and language services providers (LSPs)
– on-demand training videos
– various types of resources such as glossaries, termbases, e-books…
A tribute to the ancient Library of Alexandria
The project was named after the Great Library of Alexandria, the largest library in the ancient world. Built in the third century B.C. in the Egyptian city of Alexandria, this major and unique center of study and erudition was charged with collecting all of the knowledge in the world – it is estimated to have housed up to 700,000 papyrus and parchment scrolls. The Library of Alexandria has been a symbol for knowledge for centuries. You can read more about the Ancient Library of Alexandria here – well-documented and interesting!
The Alexandria Library, the Translation Knowledge Hub
The symbolism is clear – while our goal is not to gather all of mankind’s knowledge, “our” Alexandria – yours, Alexandria for the translation industry – has the following objectives:
- Create a platform for resources and training, to help translation services providers in their day-to-day work, and help them stay up-to-date on the latest tools and trends – there is no longer a need to explain the importance and benefits of professional development throughout one’s career, particularly in our profession where we learn something new every day from each text we translate.
- Offer a platform for colleagues who wish to share specific knowledge, experiences or expertise so that they allow others to benefit from it, therefore helping themselves to establish their reputation within the profession.
- Develop a network of training partners – small LSPs and freelance translators with high standards and keen to share their knowledge and expertise
- Contribute to promoting the importance and value of our profession
- Educate translation buyers on the value of our work and high quality standards and raise awareness : yes, translation and interpretation are a real job and a real industry!
Who are we?
The Alexandria Library is a project by The Alexandria Projects Ltd, limited company registered in England and Wales (registration number 9152561).
The Alexandria Projects Ltd
12 Swireford Road
Cheshire WA6 9BA
The Library is mostly run by the folks at the German office – please contact them for any enquiry related to the Alexandria Library:
Tel.: (+49) (0)76419539021